Latest Public Release (Ver 3.0) (Compatibility: Rpi Zero & Rpi1,2,3)
Current Donation Release (Ver.4.1) (Compatibility: Rpi2,3,4)

Under Development (Ver 5.0)

If you want to support the project and download donation releases , Feel free to donate any amount! (minimum 10€)

Donators Rank Level
ImageMovieNow Ver 5.0! - [Under Development]
ImageMovieNow Ver 4.1 - Donation Release Available!
Image All the orders for "Digital Poster Ready Packet" delay because the COVID-19! please be patience.
Image If you don't receive the activation Email, Please Check your Spam folder!

Installation Guide (MovieNow Ver 1 & 2 & 2.5)

Installation guide and Issues
Dave the Minion

Re: Installation Guide (MovieNow Ver 1 & 2 & 2.5)

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 am

i found you have to refresh poster on kodi poster screen once you enter kodi ip in config file to get app to find kodi and change banner if movie playing or not. but still no kodi posters. i made a new database and scraped 1 movie with default kodi movie scraper and default scraping settings and the poster worked. went back to regular database with all movies scraped through universal movie scraper and all posters stored in local folder with same name as movie plus -poster.jpg and no kodi posters in app. app still sees kodi playing movie or not but no posters for either. so still doesnt work with my kodi and i have 4000 movies in library. never used any other media scraper but default or mostly universal scraper and dont scrape poster info because posters are local. posters are loaded to kodi thumbnails when scraped so always part of kodi even if movie source computer is not even turned on.
0raid
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Dave the Minion wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 am
i found you have to refresh poster on kodi poster screen once you enter kodi ip in config file to get app to find kodi and change banner if movie playing or not. but still no kodi posters. i made a new database and scraped 1 movie with default kodi movie scraper and default scraping settings and the poster worked. went back to regular database with all movies scraped through universal movie scraper and all posters stored in local folder with same name as movie plus -poster.jpg and no kodi posters in app. app still sees kodi playing movie or not but no posters for either. so still doesnt work with my kodi and i have 4000 movies in library. never used any other media scraper but default or mostly universal scraper and dont scrape poster info because posters are local. posters are loaded to kodi thumbnails when scraped so always part of kodi even if movie source computer is not even turned on.
yes always after change something need to reload for movienow to "see" the changes , did you try to go in one of your 4000 movies and delete the moviename-poster.jpg file , scap again this movie (KODI is download the poster but as you will see is not put the poster as filename in the folder but saves the poster in internal database , and if you play this movie you will see the poster , in other words , you need KODI to have (this is default how kodi works) all your movies without poster in seperate file , some people say , yes but i want to have manual poster for some movies , KODI it gives this option no need to do it manual with external files...

so the problem is this:

you have one folder Terminator (2019) inside is the files Terminator.2019.mkv and Terminator.2019-poster.jpg > movienow cant see this file because is external

but if you have Terminator (2019) inside is the files Terminator.2019.mkv > movienow ask KODI to send the poster > KODI has in internal DB the poster and send it to movienow

if you want to change the poster in KODI you can do with choose art option (in this option you can choose alternative poster for the movie , even upload yours) , and KODI store this folder in internal DB and not in external file
Dave the Minion

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:28 pm

I rebooted the pi many times after putting kodi ip in the config file. nothing happened. i used web settings page on not working kodi display and clicked refresh poster button and then the app saw kodi status. i did explain that i scanned a movie with kodi default scraper and default settings and that got the poster to show up on the app. i do not scrape my movies that way and i have many reasons to not do so. there are plenty of needs to have local artwork files saved in the same directory as the movie. i have kodi on 4 different players and would have to edit every single movie and select artwork for each of them 4 times. if i change a player or need to fix my library i would have to do that all over again for over 4000 movies. that is why i do the work when i first ad the movie. i find the poster, fanart, clearlogo, cleartart and discart i want and put that in the movie folder. i scrape the movie with universal movie scraper and it takes all local art into kodi database. i edit any movie info and export nfo file to make sure i don't have to do any editing to movies after they are first added. where does this app get posters from? all posters are stored in local movie folder and are scraped into kodi database. none have web links. all can be seen in kodi if server with movie folders is offline. ive put many years into building this library finding all art and editing any movie info needed.
0raid
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Dave the Minion wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:28 pm
I rebooted the pi many times after putting kodi ip in the config file. nothing happened. i used web settings page on not working kodi display and clicked refresh poster button and then the app saw kodi status. i did explain that i scanned a movie with kodi default scraper and default settings and that got the poster to show up on the app. i do not scrape my movies that way and i have many reasons to not do so. there are plenty of needs to have local artwork files saved in the same directory as the movie. i have kodi on 4 different players and would have to edit every single movie and select artwork for each of them 4 times. if i change a player or need to fix my library i would have to do that all over again for over 4000 movies. that is why i do the work when i first ad the movie. i find the poster, fanart, clearlogo, cleartart and discart i want and put that in the movie folder. i scrape the movie with universal movie scraper and it takes all local art into kodi database. i edit any movie info and export nfo file to make sure i don't have to do any editing to movies after they are first added. where does this app get posters from? all posters are stored in local movie folder and are scraped into kodi database. none have web links. all can be seen in kodi if server with movie folders is offline. ive put many years into building this library finding all art and editing any movie info needed.
Ok lets be get more deeper in the problem!

KODI has two ways to scrap movies:

1) Local: Kodi is not get any info from internet but use the NFO (for movie details , actors , etc) and poster , banner even disc artwork in the same directory of movie!
2) Internet: Kodi ignore everything from the local directory and scrap all the info + all the posters , banners , etc from Internet

* Default KODI it use local info for movie scanning!

The Problem:

All the apps (include movienow) communicate with KODI with JSON and TCP protocol , imagine a open direct realtime line with KODI and you ask him what you want to give you! and also KODI announce what is doing! (i am playing a movie , nothing playing...etc)

so if you scan your library with local informations , when movienow ask KODI (give me a random poster or give me the poster of the movie is playing now) , KODI it gives the real path of the movie (example: smb//NAS SERVER NAME/Movies/Terminator/) , but this path cant be reach such is external path and movienow cant access it!) and also every time this path will be different (different hard drive , different folder , different nas)

but if your scan your library from internet , when movienow ASK KODI to give the poster , KODI it gives internal DB entry of the movie! , and poster can display with no problem

Solution:

There is no solution to change the core of KODI how to give external files path or filenames , the only way is to compile a new version of kodi with changes in the KODI CORE - of course this is not a solution for anyone.

What you can do:

Of course its very hard to change a library with 4.000 posters , but may i ask:

1) all this 4.000 movies has custom posters?
2) if you have multi KODI players , the best is to have one library with MYSQL to share with the others , there is no need to scan your library in every device
3) soon or later you will need to change your setup , as the last two years KODI already change a lot of things in the CORE , and in the next versions KODI will ignore everything you have in local (stupid i know , but many people using kodi for internet scan and then kodi edit tools to change anything in the library and movies , and kodi wants people to use only kodi tools and nothing external - even copy custom posters and banners)

so i am afraid - if you cant change your setup - movienow is not gonna work ! (i have try a lot days to find a solution without any success)
Dave the Minion

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:17 pm

changing how i manage and maintain my huge library to conform to how this app works is not a solution. yes ever movie in my library has artwork stored in the movie folder. mysql is not a proper solution and still does not allow a complete library fix is need be. if the library is corrupt which has happened many times i start over from scratch with 4000 movies to download and select artwork, fix studio information or sorttitle. i use tags in movie nfo to create hundreds of lists from marvel cinematic universe to academy award winners. as stated when kodi scrapes the local poster files those posters are then stored in kodi thumbnail database the same as if they are downloaded from the internet when scraped. other apps like cinemavision use local saved files in movie folders. every movie also has the trailer saved the same as artwork. both kodi and cinemavision easily use these files because in the nfo when kodi first scrapes the movie it saves the file location into the database. when my media server is not online kodi still has all artwork to see and display because it is stored in its own cached database. these posters display on official kodi control app as well. if it works for official kodi app then not sure why your app cant use the same artwork. im not a programmer but doesnt make sense? just confusing to me.
0raid
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:58 pm

Dave the Minion wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:17 pm
changing how i manage and maintain my huge library to conform to how this app works is not a solution. yes ever movie in my library has artwork stored in the movie folder. mysql is not a proper solution and still does not allow a complete library fix is need be. if the library is corrupt which has happened many times i start over from scratch with 4000 movies to download and select artwork, fix studio information or sorttitle. i use tags in movie nfo to create hundreds of lists from marvel cinematic universe to academy award winners. as stated when kodi scrapes the local poster files those posters are then stored in kodi thumbnail database the same as if they are downloaded from the internet when scraped. other apps like cinemavision use local saved files in movie folders. every movie also has the trailer saved the same as artwork. both kodi and cinemavision easily use these files because in the nfo when kodi first scrapes the movie it saves the file location into the database. when my media server is not online kodi still has all artwork to see and display because it is stored in its own cached database. these posters display on official kodi control app as well. if it works for official kodi app then not sure why your app cant use the same artwork. im not a programmer but doesnt make sense? just confusing to me.
same reason because movieposter app and other applications stop working! , KODI change a lot in the core and JSON , so many apps now and in the future will have this problems!

i am afraid i cant do anything.
Dave the Minion

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 pm

how does kodi display all artwork for every movie when source server is not online? does kodi not download and store local stored posters from movie folders and same into main database to call upon later? i tried to rescrape a few movies with default kodi scraper settings and downloading posters from internet and app shows new downloaded poster but if i choose art from any local drive then app shows nothing. many posters downloaded are poor quality and some posters ive made custom. still seems to be an issue of app not reading kodi database for artwork properly. kodi remote app for ios shows all poster artwork no problem for whole library and what is currently playing. how does it work but other apps dont? still confused.
0raid
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Dave the Minion wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 pm
how does kodi display all artwork for every movie when source server is not online? does kodi not download and store local stored posters from movie folders and same into main database to call upon later? i tried to rescrape a few movies with default kodi scraper settings and downloading posters from internet and app shows new downloaded poster but if i choose art from any local drive then app shows nothing. many posters downloaded are poor quality and some posters ive made custom. still seems to be an issue of app not reading kodi database for artwork properly. kodi remote app for ios shows all poster artwork no problem for whole library and what is currently playing. how does it work but other apps dont? still confused.
KODI after scan save all the information plus posters in internal local database file , there is not need INTERNET anymore to display KODI the posters and all the other informations.....filename: MyVideo93.db example (one file has inside everything like a image "zip" file
Dave the Minion

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:49 pm

I think you are not following my posts. I understand the Kodi database. I’ve worked with Kodi for many years. I don’t know why the Kodi remote app shows all local scrapes posters but your app can’t show the same? I tried scraping a movie with default Kodi scraper which downloaded the poster from the internet, which worked, and then changed the poster to a local custom poster as you said and it didn’t work. So Kodi scrapes posters from internet or local or custom and stores the images in its own database that works if the computer that has the poster and movie files is offline. Kodi remote app shows posters from Kodi database. Your app only works with posters scrapes from the internet. There is something not working the same between the two. Hope it can be figure out.
0raid
Site Admin

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:55 pm

Dave the Minion wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:49 pm
I think you are not following my posts. I understand the Kodi database. I’ve worked with Kodi for many years. I don’t know why the Kodi remote app shows all local scrapes posters but your app can’t show the same? I tried scraping a movie with default Kodi scraper which downloaded the poster from the internet, which worked, and then changed the poster to a local custom poster as you said and it didn’t work. So Kodi scrapes posters from internet or local or custom and stores the images in its own database that works if the computer that has the poster and movie files is offline. Kodi remote app shows posters from Kodi database. Your app only works with posters scrapes from the internet. There is something not working the same between the two. Hope it can be figure out.
the other apps (IOS , ANDROID) it retrieve the posters with HTTP port and not with TCP JSON , i told you this and before there is no way to make it work with local information....it works only with internet scan from KODI without the extra files inside the folder......so i am sorry that movienow it cant work for your setup! - i hope in the future will be a solution for this!

Return to “General Support”