Latest Public Release (Ver 3.0) (Compatibility: Rpi Zero & Rpi1,2,3)
Current Donation Release (Ver.4.1) (Compatibility: Rpi2,3,4)

Under Development (Ver 5.0)

If you want to support the project and download donation releases , Feel free to donate any amount! (minimum 10€)

Donators Rank Level
ImageMovieNow Ver 5.0! - [Under Development]
ImageMovieNow Ver 4.1 - Donation Release Available!
Image All the orders for "Digital Poster Ready Packet" delay because the COVID-19! please be patience.
Image If you don't receive the activation Email, Please Check your Spam folder!

Only boots to command promt....

Installation guide and Issues
KaraokeAmerica

Only boots to command promt....

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I have been running a test Pi3B+ running MovieNow v3 for a few weeks. It seemed to be running pretty well. I had it connected to one of my main desk monitors.

Today I decided to move it to the monitor that I was actually going to use for the real MovieNow display. It has a DVI connector and I use an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect the RPi3 to it. This setup worked great with a Pi4 that I had connected to the same monitor. However, in the case of the RPi3 I had to go into raspi-config and change to use the "experimental" OpenGL driver with "default" monitor resolution (it's the only option with that driver) to get the monitor to wake up while connected to the Pi3B. I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but since I've done that MovieNow no longer opens to the actual display. It boots up fine, but only goes to a command prompt. The web interface still works fine and I can seemingly use all the options, but even clearing the cache and refreshing the poster doesn't change anything on the output display. It's still just a command prompt.

I was thinking that there was a way to "start" the program from that command prompt, but I tried typing in "movienow" and get a bash script not found error. Not sure why I would have to start it manually and why it started doing this now I also have no idea about.

Does anyone know why all I get is a command prompt?

I am looking at the v4 of this as well. I just want to make sure I fully understand how this all works and it is stable enough for me to commit to!

Thanks for the help!
tomoffel
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Re: Only boots to command promt....

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:55 pm

Hey,
There is no command like movienow you can run..
It's a little bit complex to tell.. There are some components which are run together

What you see on your connected screen is a simple version of Chromium (the chrome browser) and due to some problem it seems that the chromium doesn't start..

But honestly, just copy over your posters (if you moved some of your own to the pi) and reflash the SD card, finding what is wrong could be more time consuming than reflashing.
KaraokeAmerica

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:25 am

tomoffel wrote:
But honestly, just copy over your posters (if you moved some of your own to the pi) and reflash the SD card, finding what is wrong could be more time consuming than reflashing.
I was afraid of that. lol

I didn't move any posters manually or whatever. I just use it out of the box, but with my Plex server.

Thanks for the help!
KaraokeAmerica

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 am

tomoffel wrote:
reflash the SD card, finding what is wrong could be more time consuming than reflashing.
OK, so I did this. Brand new image and the exact same thing happened. I could get to the web interface, but all I got was a screen with a command prompt.

So I started backtracking and thought perhaps it's related to the GL drivers I had to enable to get the monitor to come on. The monitor I have with the form factor needed only has a DVI connector so I am using an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect the Pi to it. The monitor only sees the video signal with that GL driver enabled. So of course as soon as I disabled that driver and rebooted, the screen wouldn't detect a signal.

So with the GL driver still disabled I connected it to another monitor that has an HDMI input and voila, it started working. It seems that Chromium (or the processes involved in getting MovieNow to run) wouldn't start with that driver enabled.

Is there any way around this that you know of? I really want to use that monitor because it's super thin and I already own it.
tomoffel
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 pm

can you show me your boot/config.txt ? did you changed the "hdmi_drive" there?
I also have a small screen that only uses dvi and I don't have to install the GL driver
What resolution is your monitor using?

Maybe this doc is helping you:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

good luck! :)
KaraokeAmerica wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 am
tomoffel wrote:
reflash the SD card, finding what is wrong could be more time consuming than reflashing.
OK, so I did this. Brand new image and the exact same thing happened. I could get to the web interface, but all I got was a screen with a command prompt.

So I started backtracking and thought perhaps it's related to the GL drivers I had to enable to get the monitor to come on. The monitor I have with the form factor needed only has a DVI connector so I am using an HDMI to DVI adapter to connect the Pi to it. The monitor only sees the video signal with that GL driver enabled. So of course as soon as I disabled that driver and rebooted, the screen wouldn't detect a signal.

So with the GL driver still disabled I connected it to another monitor that has an HDMI input and voila, it started working. It seems that Chromium (or the processes involved in getting MovieNow to run) wouldn't start with that driver enabled.

Is there any way around this that you know of? I really want to use that monitor because it's super thin and I already own it.
KaraokeAmerica

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:04 am

tomoffel wrote:
can you show me your boot/config.txt ? did you changed the "hdmi_drive" there?
I did not touch the config file directly. I enabled then disabled the driver in raspi-config.

Code: Select all

# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on

disable_splash=1
display_rotate=1
framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1
#gpu_mem=128
#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
tomoffel wrote:
I also have a small screen that only uses dvi and I don't have to install the GL driver
What resolution is your monitor using?
I am running it at 1920x1080
tomoffel wrote:
Maybe this doc is helping you:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md
good luck! :)
Thank you!
tomoffel
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:04 pm

try to reflash the image and then edit the config.txt with a proper editor (like notepad++ or CotEditor)

Add/Change following things:

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
hdmi_drive=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
this works for my fullhd monitor and I also use it with an hdmi-to-dvi adaptor

pop the card into the raspi and start it!
please don't install the GL driver from ssh or something, just try it with the configs above :)

hope that works!
KaraokeAmerica

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:35 pm

tomoffel wrote:
try to reflash the image and then edit the config.txt with a proper editor (like notepad++ or CotEditor)

Add/Change following things:

disable_overscan=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=82
hdmi_drive=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
this works for my fullhd monitor and I also use it with an hdmi-to-dvi adaptor
Wow, thank you!

Here is my thought: the image that I am running is brand new. I already flashed it and started over because I couldn't get past the command prompt.

Do you think this would work if I accessed the config file via SSH (via WinSCP), edit it with Notepad++ then reboot? Do I really need to shut it down and put it into another box just to edit this file? I don't know what difference it would make, but
KaraokeAmerica

Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:11 am

tomoffel wrote:
hope that works!
It did! Thank you!

Half of those settings were already set to that so I updated the remaining ones to match your suggestion. Works great!

I answered my own question about WinSCP.........you can't alter that file when the system is running so I had to shut it down. Oh well......LOL

Thanks again!
tomoffel
Donator Rank *
Donator Rank *

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:22 pm

Yeah! Thats great! Glad it worked!

for your other question, there is a way..

you could connect to your raspberry with ssh in a terminal/command prompt and then enter:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

do your changes and then press ctrl+o to save the settings and then ctrl+x to close nano
maybe you can use this way next time :)

Return to “General Support”